xsec and openssl1.0.2h problem on Windows UWP ARM

xsec and openssl1.0.2h problem on Windows UWP ARM

Athanasios Doukoudakis

Hi all,

I am trying to develop an application that uses xml-security c++ in the uwp windows platform. The library is linked in a runtime component and from there is being used to validate some xml responses that we retrieve using curl.

I am experiencing some errors when compiling xsec with openssl support and then try to re-use curl. The request fails due to the following error:

Curl request fails upon curl_easy_perform() with the following error: SSL: couldn't create a context: error:140A90F1:lib(20):func(169):reason(241) which leads into curl failing with  CURLE_OUT_OF_MEMORY

When I compile xsec with the XSEC_HAVE_WINCAPI flag, the problem goes away. This unfortunately is not an option for ARM architectures where the windows cryptographic api is not available.

I have noticed this commit on the github repository:

https://github.com/apache/santuario-cpp/commit/0d0e08e9ca94ceb2909b5fb0dbb04b07f97818ff

I wanted to ask if this is a known issue, and therefore the disabling of openssl support by default in windows is something to prevent these errors.

When we use xsec library on Android and iOS this problem is not present even with using openssl.

Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Doukoudakis Athanasios

Athanasios Doukoudakis

Software Engineer | SQR Systems

E: [hidden email]  | T: +44 (0) 203 405 3044 | M: +44 (0) 7875083512

Garden Studios|71-75 Shelton Street |Covent Garden |London | WC2H 9JQ

www.sqrsystems.com

SQR Systems Limited | Registered Office: 71-75 Shelton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9JQ| Registration Number 7463700 | Registered in England and Wales

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Virus Database (VPS): 160629-1, 29/06/2016
Tested on: 30/06/2016 10:20:47

RE: xsec and openssl1.0.2h problem on Windows UWP ARM

Cantor, Scott
> I am experiencing some errors when compiling xsec with openssl support
> and then try to re-use curl. The request fails due to the following error:
>
> Curl request fails upon curl_easy_perform() with the following error: SSL:
> couldn't create a context: error:140A90F1:lib(20):func(169):reason(241)
> which leads into curl failing with  CURLE_OUT_OF_MEMORY

Couldn't say, but I use Santuario, OpenSSL, and libcurl together on Windows. I imagine it's a platform issue or a code issue.

> I wanted to ask if this is a known issue, and therefore the disabling of openssl
> support by default in windows is something to prevent these errors.

No.

-- Scott

RE: xsec and openssl1.0.2h problem on Windows UWP ARM

Athanasios Doukoudakis
Hi again,
Thanks for the response.
Could you tell me the versions of openssl/curl you are using on windows so I
can make a comparison (also compiler if possible)?
I am currently using curl 7.48.0 and openssl 1.0.2h with xml-sec 1.7.3.

Regards,
Athanasios Doukoudakis
Software Engineer | SQR Systems

E: [hidden email]  | T: +44 (0) 203 405 3044 | M: +44
(0) 7875083512
Garden Studios|71-75 Shelton Street |Covent Garden |London | WC2H 9JQ
www.sqrsystems.com

SQR Systems Limited | Registered Office: 71-75 Shelton Street, Covent
Garden, London, WC2H 9JQ| Registration Number 7463700 | Registered in
England and Wales

this e-mail from your system.

> I am experiencing some errors when compiling xsec with openssl support
> and then try to re-use curl. The request fails due to the following error:
>
> Curl request fails upon curl_easy_perform() with the following error: SSL:
> couldn't create a context:
> error:140A90F1:lib(20):func(169):reason(241)
> which leads into curl failing with  CURLE_OUT_OF_MEMORY

Couldn't say, but I use Santuario, OpenSSL, and libcurl together on Windows.
I imagine it's a platform issue or a code issue.

> I wanted to ask if this is a known issue, and therefore the disabling
> of openssl support by default in windows is something to prevent these
errors.

No.

-- Scott

---
Virus Database (VPS): 160701-1, 01/07/2016 Tested on: 01/07/2016 16:41:25

---
Virus Database (VPS): 160701-1, 01/07/2016
Tested on: 01/07/2016 16:59:22

RE: xsec and openssl1.0.2h problem on Windows UWP ARM

Cantor, Scott
> Could you tell me the versions of openssl/curl you are using on windows so I
> can make a comparison (also compiler if possible)?
> I am currently using curl 7.48.0 and openssl 1.0.2h with xml-sec 1.7.3.

curl 7.49.1, openssl 1.0.2h, VC10, not on ARM obviously.

-- Scott