Java 2.1.0 release?

Colm O hEigeartaigh-2
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense, or if there's any interest, in a 2.1.0 release of the Java library. 2.0.x requires Java 6. I'm thinking that we could skip Java 7 and require only Java 8 onwards for 2.1.x. Off hand I can think of the following benefits:

 - Java 9 support
 - Replace the Base64 implementation with the Base64Encoder/Decoder in JDK 1.8
 - Implement try-with-resources
 - ?

Any opinions on this? Any changes anyone would like to see that potentially break backwards compatibility?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Java 2.1.0 release?

Cantor, Scott
On 9/28/16, 10:17 AM, "Colm O hEigeartaigh" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Any opinions on this?

Would you anticipate a period of security support for 2.0.x or immediate EOL?

We're currently targeting Java 7 and won't be requiring 8 for a while yet, though that timetable is ultimately connected above all to our dependencies' timetables.

-- Scott

Re: Java 2.1.0 release?

Colm O hEigeartaigh-2
No we can continue with 2.0.x for as long as is required. I know that other downstream projects at Apache will need it for at least a couple of years from now.

Colm.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Cantor, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/28/16, 10:17 AM, "Colm O hEigeartaigh" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Any opinions on this?

Would you anticipate a period of security support for 2.0.x or immediate EOL?

We're currently targeting Java 7 and won't be requiring 8 for a while yet, though that timetable is ultimately connected above all to our dependencies' timetables.

-- Scott

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Java 2.1.0 release?

Sean Mullan
Seems like a great idea to me. Couple of comments inline:

On 09/28/2016 10:17 AM, Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense, or if there's any interest,
> in a 2.1.0 release of the Java library. 2.0.x requires Java 6. I'm
> thinking that we could skip Java 7 and require only Java 8 onwards for
> 2.1.x. Off hand I can think of the following benefits:
>
>  - Java 9 support

What do you mean by this?

>  - Replace the Base64 implementation with the Base64Encoder/Decoder in
> JDK 1.8
>  - Implement try-with-resources
>  - ?

Lots of other potential code improvements once you stop supporting JDK
6, ex: diamond operator, lambdas, etc

> Any opinions on this? Any changes anyone would like to see that
> potentially break backwards compatibility?

Not really. You could also remove the javax.xml.crypto packages from the
source code since that is bundled with the JDK since JDK 6. (or was that
done already?).

--Sean

Re: Java 2.1.0 release?

Colm O hEigeartaigh-2
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Sean Mullan <[hidden email]> wrote:

 - Java 9 support

Just to certify that Santuario works with Java 9. Right now, trunk doesn't even build with Java 9 due to an issue with the maven jaxb2-plugin:

https://github.com/mojohaus/jaxb2-maven-plugin/issues/43

Any opinions on this? Any changes anyone would like to see that
potentially break backwards compatibility?

Not really. You could also remove the javax.xml.crypto packages from the source code since that is bundled with the JDK since JDK 6. (or was that done already?).

Already done for 2.0.x.

Colm.

--Sean

--