[IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Gianugo Rabellino-2
All,

this is an important message for the XIndice community: as some of you
may have noticed, the Apache XML project has been in a "winding down"
mode for a while, with most projects either moving to top level
(xerces.apache.org, xalan.apache.org) or to the Attic (AxKit,
Crimson). XIndice is now the only project left, and it's time to
discuss about the project's future. There are two ways forward: the
top level project route (creating xindice.apache.org with its own PMC)
or, if the project isn't active enough to create a PMC, the Attic (see
http://attic.apache.org).

The XML project has no opinion on either, but know that if the XIndice
community doesn't step up to own the project, the only choice left
will be the Attic. Which, by the way, means hibernation not death: the
software remains available both in binaries and source code (although
in strict read-only mode), forks remain possible and projects can exit
the Attic at any time, although to do that they need to prove they
have a viable community standing behind them.

This is a message to get the discussion going: if you want to keep
XIndice as a full-fledged Apache project, this is your turn to step
up! If you feel you want to help, participate, contribute and use
XIndice, we would be glad to hear from you and, as the XML PMC, more
than willing to hand XIndice over to a newly formed TLP. Personally,
I'm happy to help with either transitions, be it to a TLP or to the
Attic. Given that the project has been inactive in the past, I'm
planning to wait for a week to see if a discussion gets going: if
that's not the case, my plan is to start a vote in the XML PMC to
retire XIndice to the Attic.

Looking forward to your suggestions,

--
Gianugo Rabellino - gianugo at rabellino dot it
Blog: http://boldlyopen.com

Re: [IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Glen Mazza
I see a third option -- just moving it under http://db.apache.org/.

Glen

On 08/04/2011 06:14 PM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> All,
>
> this is an important message for the XIndice community: as some of you
> may have noticed, the Apache XML project has been in a "winding down"
> mode for a while, with most projects either moving to top level
> (xerces.apache.org, xalan.apache.org) or to the Attic (AxKit,
> Crimson). XIndice is now the only project left, and it's time to
> discuss about the project's future. There are two ways forward: the
> top level project route (creating xindice.apache.org with its own PMC)
> or, if the project isn't active enough to create a PMC, the Attic (see
> http://attic.apache.org).
>
> The XML project has no opinion on either, but know that if the XIndice
> community doesn't step up to own the project, the only choice left
> will be the Attic. Which, by the way, means hibernation not death: the
> software remains available both in binaries and source code (although
> in strict read-only mode), forks remain possible and projects can exit
> the Attic at any time, although to do that they need to prove they
> have a viable community standing behind them.
>
> This is a message to get the discussion going: if you want to keep
> XIndice as a full-fledged Apache project, this is your turn to step
> up! If you feel you want to help, participate, contribute and use
> XIndice, we would be glad to hear from you and, as the XML PMC, more
> than willing to hand XIndice over to a newly formed TLP. Personally,
> I'm happy to help with either transitions, be it to a TLP or to the
> Attic. Given that the project has been inactive in the past, I'm
> planning to wait for a week to see if a discussion gets going: if
> that's not the case, my plan is to start a vote in the XML PMC to
> retire XIndice to the Attic.
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions,

Re: [IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Gianugo Rabellino-4
Fair enough, although this is solving one problem (finding a place to
host it), but doesn't solve the issue of the project itself being a
prime candidate for the Attic anyways as there has been no releases or
discussions or commits (modulo a handful of questions on the user
list) for a long while.

--

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Glen Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see a third option -- just moving it under http://db.apache.org/.
>
> Glen
>
> On 08/04/2011 06:14 PM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> this is an important message for the XIndice community: as some of you
>> may have noticed, the Apache XML project has been in a "winding down"
>> mode for a while, with most projects either moving to top level
>> (xerces.apache.org, xalan.apache.org) or to the Attic (AxKit,
>> Crimson). XIndice is now the only project left, and it's time to
>> discuss about the project's future. There are two ways forward: the
>> top level project route (creating xindice.apache.org with its own PMC)
>> or, if the project isn't active enough to create a PMC, the Attic (see
>> http://attic.apache.org).
>>
>> The XML project has no opinion on either, but know that if the XIndice
>> community doesn't step up to own the project, the only choice left
>> will be the Attic. Which, by the way, means hibernation not death: the
>> software remains available both in binaries and source code (although
>> in strict read-only mode), forks remain possible and projects can exit
>> the Attic at any time, although to do that they need to prove they
>> have a viable community standing behind them.
>>
>> This is a message to get the discussion going: if you want to keep
>> XIndice as a full-fledged Apache project, this is your turn to step
>> up! If you feel you want to help, participate, contribute and use
>> XIndice, we would be glad to hear from you and, as the XML PMC, more
>> than willing to hand XIndice over to a newly formed TLP. Personally,
>> I'm happy to help with either transitions, be it to a TLP or to the
>> Attic. Given that the project has been inactive in the past, I'm
>> planning to wait for a week to see if a discussion gets going: if
>> that's not the case, my plan is to start a vote in the XML PMC to
>> retire XIndice to the Attic.
>>
>> Looking forward to your suggestions,

Re: [IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Gianugo Rabellino-4
Anyone? In a couple of days, unless I hear otherwise, I will propose a
resolution to the XML PMC to move XIndice to the Attic, so speak now
or forever hold your peace. :)

--

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Gianugo Rabellino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> this is an important message for the XIndice community: as some of you
> may have noticed, the Apache XML project has been in a "winding down"
> mode for a while, with most projects either moving to top level
> (xerces.apache.org, xalan.apache.org) or to the Attic (AxKit,
> Crimson). XIndice is now the only project left, and it's time to
> discuss about the project's future. There are two ways forward: the
> top level project route (creating xindice.apache.org with its own PMC)
> or, if the project isn't active enough to create a PMC, the Attic (see
> http://attic.apache.org).
>
> The XML project has no opinion on either, but know that if the XIndice
> community doesn't step up to own the project, the only choice left
> will be the Attic. Which, by the way, means hibernation not death: the
> software remains available both in binaries and source code (although
> in strict read-only mode), forks remain possible and projects can exit
> the Attic at any time, although to do that they need to prove they
> have a viable community standing behind them.
>
> This is a message to get the discussion going: if you want to keep
> XIndice as a full-fledged Apache project, this is your turn to step
> up! If you feel you want to help, participate, contribute and use
> XIndice, we would be glad to hear from you and, as the XML PMC, more
> than willing to hand XIndice over to a newly formed TLP. Personally,
> I'm happy to help with either transitions, be it to a TLP or to the
> Attic. Given that the project has been inactive in the past, I'm
> planning to wait for a week to see if a discussion gets going: if
> that's not the case, my plan is to start a vote in the XML PMC to
> retire XIndice to the Attic.
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions,
>
> --
> Gianugo Rabellino - gianugo at rabellino dot it
> Blog: http://boldlyopen.com

Re: [IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Vadim Gritsenko
I haven't been doing any Xindice - or Java - in a good while, so unless anyone else wants to step up, Attic it is.

Vadim

On Aug 10, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Anyone? In a couple of days, unless I hear otherwise, I will propose a
> resolution to the XML PMC to move XIndice to the Attic, so speak now
> or forever hold your peace. :)
>
> --
> Gianugo Rabellino - gianugo at rabellino dot it
> Blog: http://boldlyopen.com
>

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Gianugo Rabellino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> this is an important message for the XIndice community: as some of you
>> may have noticed, the Apache XML project has been in a "winding down"
>> mode for a while, with most projects either moving to top level
>> (xerces.apache.org, xalan.apache.org) or to the Attic (AxKit,
>> Crimson). XIndice is now the only project left, and it's time to
>> discuss about the project's future. There are two ways forward: the
>> top level project route (creating xindice.apache.org with its own PMC)
>> or, if the project isn't active enough to create a PMC, the Attic (see
>> http://attic.apache.org).
>>
>> The XML project has no opinion on either, but know that if the XIndice
>> community doesn't step up to own the project, the only choice left
>> will be the Attic. Which, by the way, means hibernation not death: the
>> software remains available both in binaries and source code (although
>> in strict read-only mode), forks remain possible and projects can exit
>> the Attic at any time, although to do that they need to prove they
>> have a viable community standing behind them.
>>
>> This is a message to get the discussion going: if you want to keep
>> XIndice as a full-fledged Apache project, this is your turn to step
>> up! If you feel you want to help, participate, contribute and use
>> XIndice, we would be glad to hear from you and, as the XML PMC, more
>> than willing to hand XIndice over to a newly formed TLP. Personally,
>> I'm happy to help with either transitions, be it to a TLP or to the
>> Attic. Given that the project has been inactive in the past, I'm
>> planning to wait for a week to see if a discussion gets going: if
>> that's not the case, my plan is to start a vote in the XML PMC to
>> retire XIndice to the Attic.
>>
>> Looking forward to your suggestions,
>>
>> --
>> Gianugo Rabellino - gianugo at rabellino dot it
>> Blog: http://boldlyopen.com

Re: [IMPORTANT] The future of XIndice

Natalia Shilenkova
There is not much user or developer activity to justify making Xindice a top-level project. Unless there are Xindice users that are interested in the future of the project I would vote for the Attic.

Regards,
Natalia